Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Best of Rome Semester (site #20 - #11)


























It’s the end of the year now, and I thought that I’d go back through my study-abroad adventures with the University of Dallas. I have selected my top 20 favorite sites/cities in my travels. It was extremely difficult to pick out just twenty favorites as there were so many places worth mentioning. Here’s a look back on my fondest memories of Europe, from 20th to 1st place (tenth to first place will be posted later)…


 

Honorable mention -
Eiffel Tower

If not just to get this one out of the way, I had to have an honorable mention somewhere. The Eiffel Tower might be an overrated attraction, but it is most definitely a sight to see at dusk and at night when it’s lit up and sparkling.









#19 tied - Notre Dame, Paris, France


I had REALLY wanted to go visit Chartres, France to visit the famed Chartres Cathedral, but due to limited time and a shortage of days on Eurail passes, we had to skip it. Notre Dame was a great substitute though. Those rose windows were even more amazing in real life and the entire church was even taller than I imagined. It exemplified all of the things I expected from a gothic church: peaceful, majestic, and a feat of architecture.
 

#19 tied - Ostia Antica, Rome, Italy



Pompeii had been a really great place in the historical context, but for me, it lacked the picturesque appearance I had expected from an ancient site. Ostia Antica made up for that and then some. I think there is considerably more history packed into Pompeii, but Ostia Antica felt like a magical ruin, like Cair Paravel from Narnia. It would have been the best place to play the ultimate game of hide-and-go-seek, which some of us tried, but we were so caught up in the exciting little pathways that led into these enchanting little niches where the most obscure sculptures and ruins were found. If I’d had more time, I would have gone back for a day visit. Half an hour is nowhere near enough time.
 
#18 - Nemi, Italy


This is exactly what I expected a small Italian town to look and feel like. Maybe that is why I fell in love with it so quickly. It was also a great first impression of Italy (it was among our first class trips within the first week of Rome semester). This town was known for its strawberries and lavender, both of which can be found at many of the small shops lining the cobblestone streets. At the town’s farthest corner is a breathtaking view of mountains, valleys and a lake. I could have spent a whole day there, yet sadly, we only had a couple of hours. I’m still regretting not having gone back to try some strawberry wine.



 
#17 - Rome, Italy

 
Rome definitely made the list. It didn’t make tops on my list, but it certainly left a deep DEEP mark since I lived on the edge of it and visited the city at least once a week. My favorite piazzas were Piazza Venezia (pictured) and Piazza Novona. Of course other favorite sites included the Colosseum, Capitoline Hill, the Trevi Fountain, the Villa Borghese, and so many others. This history-filled city was packed with dozens of churches, sculptures and monuments, all of which could not possibly be seen in one semester. I was particularly fond of all of the sculpture I saw there, especially the ancient Roman copies of Greek sculptures. I was so inspired by the ancient artists’ work. Rome is the kind of city where you just keep discovering things. I could never become bored over this city.



#16 - Florence, Italy

 
Would you believe it? I liked Florence better than Rome. I mean, all of the most amazing Italian artists, architects and writers came from here. If you ask me, Florence is just as history-filled as Rome, except that it contains more baroque / medieval / renaissance history than Rome, all of which I am highly interested. It was not as difficult to navigate through Florence as I thought it would be (maybe easier than Rome in some ways). Florence Cathedral (pictured) was, of course, the big beauty of Florence. It took my breath away when I rounded the corner and saw it for the first time. The detail on it is amazing and the view from the top of the dome is also quite fulfilling. I think that Florence was more laid-back and peaceful when compared to Rome. If I had to choose between those two cities in which to live, Florence would be my town.

 

#15 - Lake Albano/Castel Gandolfo, Italy

 
I’m a big nature person, so to put Lake Albano higher on the list than Florence and Rome should not be that surprising. The lake was picturesque with the sweeping green hills surrounding it. Castel Gandolfo, home to some of the best wine in Italy, was the jewel of the houses and mini-towns poised on the edge of Lake Albano. Like Nemi, it was everything I expected a small Italian town to look like, complete with a fountain in the town square in front of the papal palace, where some UD students (not me unfortunately) were able to join the Holy Father in the Angelus on Sundays. A nice bonus was when we had our silent retreat at a quiet retreat house at the highest point of the hills surrounding the lake, with the lake itself at our feet and the city of Rome just beyond it. And it was no dream…

 

#14 - Heidelburg, Germany

 
Heidelburg was as charming as charming could be. From our view in an old castle at the top of a high hill, I saw everything I expected from Germany: colorful autumn leaves on the hills beyond, a snaking river with a red bridge, and a cozy red-roofed town spread before the castle (also reddish in color). The view was so beautiful, I think I must have taken the same photo at least a dozen times. The streets below were similar to the ones I saw in Trier the day before: shops everywhere and lively accordion music playing every several blocks or so. Might I add that fresh-baked German pretzels totally crush the competition against Auntie Anne’s pretzels at the mall.

 

#13 - Monte Cassino, Italy

 
Founded by St. Benedict, Monte Cassino is a beautiful abbey up in the mountains and is considered one of the first monasteries. It was such a gorgeous and peaceful place with amazing architecture and breathtaking views from their balconies. A peaceful presence could be felt wherever we walked. By the end of the visit, even some of the girls were saying they wished they could be monks so that they could enjoy a peaceful place such as this. I don’t doubt that St. Benedict’s spirit still comes to visit the monks and encourage them in their ways of prayer and work or Ora et Labora.

 

#12 - Amalfi, Italy

 
Almost too hard to choose between Amalfi and Positano as the better of the two, but one thing kept Amalfi from claiming the coveted #11 spot (see Positano). Amalfi had charming streets and shops and even had the historical church of St. Andrew the Apostle. There’s something particularly special about having a huge mountain looming above you as you go deeper into the heart of Amalfi, then upon your return to the harbor, you see the shining blue sea.



#11 - Positano, Italy

 
Like Amalfi, Positano had great streets and shops, but the reason it claimed a higher spot was because it bore a more enchanting aura than Amalfi. The curving walkways along the sea cliffs provided unparalleled views of the Mediterranean. Even better was the small secluded beach Dr. Osborn led us to, where the water was clearer and cleaner than the main beach. There’s a certain magic about the water that has come to claim my affection, and spending a good hour and a half beside the water in Positano definitely helped it along. As I said before, I’m a more nature-oriented person, and Positano certainly had more of this than Amalfi.


Top 10 sites to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment