Monday, November 19, 2012

A Tribute to the RAs

Just today, I was having an inexplicable desire to be up there in the ranks with the RAs. I really love the Rome RAs and laud them as my heroes. In some ways, I think they personify the Catholic Church insomuch as they set reasonable rules for the students to follow and they have to endure scorn behind their backs (trust me, I’ve seen and heard it coming from whining students many times both in Irving and in Rome). Through all the ups and downs of their job, the RAs always -- ALWAYS -- manage pull through with exemplary selflessness and patience.

My parents were (and still are) my constant role models back at home, but when I came to UD the RAs took up that critically important role. There is not a day that goes by that I do not find myself admiring the RAs for all the hard work they do. I can only imagine the many long hours of hard work and countless sacrifices they make without the students’ knowledge, all in order to make campus life better for the students who may never realize how much they need their RAs.

I pity the student who expresses animosity and bitterness at the very mention of an RA who has dutifully performed their task in upholding the campus rules. Even worse, I feel badly when the students make fun of the RAs who are enforcing reasonable rules and safety measures, much to the disdain of the sometimes rebellious student. It is for those reasons that I praise the RAs as my heroes. I don’t just want to be like them; I want to BE them! I really can’t sing their praises enough!

Even though most of the RAs are technically only 2 or 3 years older than me, they feel like the older brothers and sisters I never had, all of whom I can go to for advice, wisdom, and good company. They have contributed to some of my fondest memories and experiences of my Rome semester. By their example they have helped me become a better, more mature person over the course of the semester, and for that, I must thank them from the bottom of my heart.

It is with teary eyes and a nostalgic smile that I close this small tribute to the Rome RAs. I am sincerely going to miss each one of them, all of who have wordlessly inspired me to apply to become an RA in Irving. I will never forget my RA heroes of Rome.

Thank you Ryan, Ellen, Tony, Peter and Sara for all that you have done to make the UD Rome semester the greatest experience of my life!

With warmest regards,
Kathleen R.

P. S. All of the above applies to all RAs everywhere. Thanks for being an example to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment