Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Capitoline Museum = Best Museum Ever!

Today we visited the Capitoline Museum. What a place! The UD staff was not kidding around when they said that the Capitoline was probably one of the best museums in the world. It was glorious!!! So many Roman statues, many of which I’m sure were copies of Greek bronze sculptures. But all I could think about while going through the museum was “I am so studying these statues for human figure classes next semester!” Who better to learn from than the Roman sculptors? We even found some of the pieces we had memorized in class, particularly the “Dying Gaul” sculpture, to which we were like, “Ah, so you’re the one who’s been causing me problems in class.”

This was also the last week that some of the old Vatican documents were being exhibited, including the final verdict of Galileo’s trial, the excommunication papers (it was really a book) of Martin Luther, a letter to the Pope from Saint Bernadette, and other amazing documents, all handwritten flawlessly. It was an incredible experience of a lifetime.


In other news, I got the job as one of the sacristans here on campus. The bonus: it’s a paid position! I’d practically do it for free, it sounds like such a wonderful job! But poor college student that I am, I will take anything at this point. This job is not formally work-study, but it’ll definitely do for some extra cash. I’m really looking forward to this job!


No comments:

Post a Comment