Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Long Weekend #1 Adventures

Rome is where the talent is. I really cannot believe how many talented people there are in Rome. If people aren’t trying to sell you some cool toy, they perform violin solos/duets, do drawings or paintings of caricatures or local Roman sites, or dress up and play statue (some literally look like living statues) or man with the invisible head. There are dozens more people out there who I’ve yet to see, but the talent rate in Rome skyrockets beyond NYC and California.

Anyway, Saturday was half spent “Rome-ing” throughout the Eternal City, where we visited sites we’d already seen and some of which were completely new. I just love those moments when you turn a corner and suddenly the Pantheon or Capitoline Hill is there. It’s such a sweet surprise. We also went shopping for religious articles next to the Vatican and even spotted some of Bl. Mother Theresa’s sisters of charity! For lunch, we paid a visit to the Scholar’s Lounge. That would be my first time ever visiting a pub. And no, I didn’t drink anything besides water.

I think, at this point, we have the metro system down to a T. Now to move on and try the actual trains. Eeeps! A little nervous about that one, but some of my suitemates have already said that it’s like the metro in the sense that it takes a little getting used to, but once you have it figured out, you’re good. Hmmm, I wonder if I should get a Eurail pass. I guess it’ll depend on what we decide to do for 10 Day and Thanksgiving break.

Sunday was all studying and getting ready for our Art History quiz on Monday. I think more students are freaking out about it than necessary, myself included, even though I’m already familiar with more than half of the material since I took Art & Arch I last fall. I think we’ll be alright though. Some of us spent the evening Saturday and all day Sunday studying at the whiteboard in the Aula Magna (that’s the Big Classroom next to the cafeteria) and quizzing each other, going over the artworks, dates, movements, Greek orders, mythological gods, time periods, vocabulary, etc. over and over again, all while listening to Baroque music, then the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, Irish music, Gregorian Chant, then back to Baroque. I think we surprised Dr. Osborn a little when he walked in with his brother who was visiting campus (he was giving him a tour). Guess he’s not altogether used to seeing students studying on the whiteboard. It’s been fun though. I’m particularly flattered when non-art major students come up to me and say, “Can I get some help with studying Art History?”

No comments:

Post a Comment