Monday, August 20, 2012

Entering the Eternal City

What an exciting trip! 24 hours of non-stop travel, but the jet lag wasn’t too bad since we flew into the nighttime when we flew over the Atlantic (passing not too far away from the Titanic site) and I slept for most of that time. 1400+ miles later, we made it to Rome, the Eternal City, safely!

The UD Rome campus is just charming! There are so many opportunities for taking brilliant pictures and plenty of nice areas for taking a nice walk or jog. I’ve yet to explore the vineyard, but it looks beautiful, particularly after 5pm.

The entire staff is just fantastic. The RAs gave the students tours and even pointed out that if you look hard enough from one of the balconies (I'd say its name if I could remember), you can see the dome of St. Peter's basilica.

The water, as the previous UDers had said before, is not very good. It tastes like a flat carbonated water with no flavor. Adding ice, however, does make it a little more durable. The food isn’t all that bad though. And they did serve us wine at dinner time. It was a white wine and I probably only drank a milliliter or two. It smelled way better than it tasted, in my opinion. I think a lot of this is going to be an adjustment (including the drinking.) Maybe I'll fare better with the red wines.

I’m looking forward to visiting St. Peter’s basilica tomorrow morning for Mass. It’s going to be exciting!!

Until the morrow,
The Wandering Sapphire

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Kathleen! I'm about to die of jealousy. (This is Ada, BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The balcony is called the belvedere and you get used to the water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people started out preferring Reds to Whites. And you do have to remember that wine is not only an acquired taste, but a taste you have to practice quite extensively before you can truly appreciate the subtleties.

    St. Peters in the morning is awesome. Enjoy.

    -Rob

    ReplyDelete