Saturday, August 25, 2012

It's the Small Towns That Have It!

Another day, another adventure! At about 3pm local time, we all went to visit the charming towns of Castel Gandolfo, Adolfo, and Nemi - beautiful areas around the retired volcano on which the UD campus sits and where the best wine in Italy is produced. Everything was amazing: the scenic views, the churches, the water, the gelato (lemon and strawberry!), the miniature strawberries of Nemi, and the charm of the towns was just….mmmm! It was everything I expected of the small Italian towns and more, not to mention the kind of place in which I could have pinched my self a thousand times but would never have woken up. Eating out at an Italian diner overlooking Lake Albano was a perfect way to end the day.
 







Seriously! These are places I only dream of or get to see on postcards. And now I'm living in it? You are so real, God!

Thus far, making friends hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would be, especially so early in the semester. I guess it shouldn’t bee that surprising because we’re on such a small campus with only around a hundred twenty students or so. I’m actually amazed at how many people actually know my name. I mean, as someone who was perpetually invisible and living in the art village back at the Irving campus, I’m VERY surprised. Well, I guess the Capp Bar may have helped at UD, but still people whom I’ve hardly known for 4 days already call to me by name. There’s just something so refreshing about hearing my own name mentioned to me. Just saying.

Time to head off to bed. Rome scavenger hunt is tomorrow and I need to be all rested up for that long excursion. This is the Wandering Sapphire, signing off with the smell of leftover wine wafting through the air (that was everyone else drinking while I was writing this blog. I’ll wait for tomorrow’s formal wine-tasting event before dipping my taste buds into any wine other than what I’d had for the first time on Monday).


No comments:

Post a Comment